The present church is the first of Hawksmoor’s London Churches to be built under the Fifty New Churches Act of 1711. It provided the template for subsequent projects undertaken by the Commission, using funds from coal tax revenues, and was the first building to be completed in the transformation of Greenwich after the Restoration, involving the same architects and craftsmen used in the building of the Old Royal Naval College (or Hospital as it was then) including Nicholas Hawksmoor, Grinling Gibbons, Sir James Thornhill, John James and Jean Tijou.
As well as being a template for the other London churches it was also a workshop for designs used elsewhere in the Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site.
The project plans to work with the local authority, the Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site partners, local schools and other community organisations to enable a new chapter in the story of St Alfege Church to be established.
This project will reveal and bring together the church's hidden places and stories for the first time, re-presenting the church as a valuable resource for interpreting and understanding Greenwich’s rich and diverse history.
- To complete the urgent conservation and repair of the church and its churchyard
- To ensure that the church is more closely integrated into the local heritage destination and the surrounding community.